"Mild, buttery Fontina cheese is delightful paired with earthy asparagus, but if you can’t find it, you can replace it with provolone, or use all Gruyère here. Sometimes I shave the asparagus into thin strips, though simply chopping it works great when I’m more pressed for time. This quiche is beautiful either way."
Asparagus & Fontina Quiche
Serves 6 to 8
1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
6 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. Fontina cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
2 oz. Gruyère cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
1 unbaked Pie Crust (page 28), or a store-bought 9-inch pie crust
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, slice the asparagus lengthwise into long, thin strips, starting just under the tip of each stalk. Leave the tips whole. (Alternatively, cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces.)
3. In a pot with a steamer insert or in a covered sauté pan fitted with an expandable steamer basket, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the asparagus to the steamer insert or basket, cover, and steam until tender, about 30 seconds for strips and about 3 minutes for pieces.
4. Rinse the asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic salt, and pepper. Stir in the Fontina, Gruyère, and reserved asparagus.
6. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
7. Bake until lightly golden and set in the center when the pan is gently pushed, 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover it with foil to prevent it from burning.
8. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 or 8 slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
9. The quiche is best served the day it is made. Tightly wrap leftovers with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
From Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines. Copyright © 2018 by Joanna Gaines. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
INVITE JOANNA TO YOUR HOME
Each book we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team.
SHARE WITH OTHER BOOKLOVERS!
(PIN THIS POST TO PINTEREST)
If you would like to be a guest blogger, contact firstname.lastname@example.org